POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dual Server Failure : Re: Dual Server Failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:28:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dual Server Failure
From: andrel
Date: 23 Jan 2012 15:25:44
Message: <4F1DC24B.7090805@gmail.com>
On 23-1-2012 11:38, John VanSickle wrote:

>>> Making something truly zero down-time is exceedingly expensive.
>>
>> Yeah, reducing down-time isn't usually too bad, but /zero/ down-time
>> requires going to absurd lengths.
>
> When I was stationed at Onizuka AFB, California (the Blue Cube, for
> those who live or work near the south end of the San Francisco Bay), we
> had two large SATCOM dishes, called Sun East and Sun West.
>
> One chronic problem was that getting downtime for preventive maintenance
> was as difficult as pulling gold teeth from a chicken. The user
> community (who was and always will be better connected than the
> maintenance community) were as stubborn as mules about allowing any
> downtime for any reason.
>
> "Hey, what if we took each dish down, once every six months, and do all
> of the preventive maintenance specified in the technical orders?"
>
> "No, no, we need those dishes up 24/7. Denied."
>
> You'll never guess what the result was.

Difficult.
my first guess would be that after 9-12 months the system failed for
more than twice the time of the provocative maintenance.
but...
you said I couldn't guess. so that is not what happened.
ergo, the system was reliably working for 10 years until it was replaced
by a better system with a small overlap in time.
No that can not be right, because if that was the case I guessed it, and
I couldn't.
but, but, that would be true of every other guess...
Ah, I got it, I can not *guess* it, therefore I must *know* the answer:

--
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.