POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Povray: the benefits : Re: Povray: the benefits Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:28:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray: the benefits
From: andrel
Date: 5 Nov 2011 16:28:36
Message: <4EB59C71.2070808@gmail.com>
> Q: "If you need to take meshes from an external modeler into povray, what
> benefit is there over doing that instead of just rendering the image directly in
> the external modeler?"

My main answer would be Kevin's nr 2. I use matlab a lot to generate the
scripts (or at least the include files).

Secondary answers would be that
- the scripting language also allows automatic duplication of items and
things like trace. All modellers nowadays come with a scripting tool
that would allow you to do the same. It is less of an advantage nowadays.
- If you know the underlying language (e.g. python) than you're fine
otherwise a language designed for defining 3D scenes is better than a
general tool with all bells and whistles.
- The output looks much better than in the free 3D modellers, or at
least it used to be so.
- Some of us are used to thinking algorithmically and don't like to play
around with a mouse the whole day. Scripting also makes certain types of
version control easier that point and click.
- Kevin nr 3. Give a man Blender to build a chandelier and he is busy
for a day. Give him POV and he is busy for a day *and* he has finally
understood the beauty of trigonometry.
- short code contest.
- the community