POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Halloween : Re: Halloween Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:26:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Halloween
From: andrel
Date: 31 Oct 2011 16:05:52
Message: <4EAEFFA3.5020307@gmail.com>
Th Dutch situation is a bit more complex (or perhaps not). There are two
track and treat traditions here (children sing and get candy, no matter
how badly they sing or what they sing. (some things would not get past
an American censor)). One where I live on Sept 11th and one in the south
on Jan 6th. It is unclear what Haloween has to offer additionally.
Perhaps in areas where neither tradition is present. I haven't seen
anything in the shops, but that might just be because I wasn't in any
shop over the last few months,
Carnival is the time to dress up, at least in the south, so no need to
import a foreign tradition either.
I think it is celebrated by some younger adults as an excuse to have a
party and dress up. I don't see it become very popular in the near
future here. If it does, shops will start selling at least 2 or 3 months
in advance, they do for all other festivities like Eastern Sinterklaas
(dec 6th) and Christmas (although some people get angry if Christmas
things are in shops before dec 6th)

On 30-10-2011 20:27, Darren New wrote:
>> yeah, its pretty much not a "holy day" for anyone any more.
>
> You should disabuse yourself of that notion. Just because you don't get
> invited doesn't mean they don't celebrate their religious holidays.

I try to observe towel day and at least pay some attention to talk like
a pirate day, but they do not seem very popular. Probably because of no
merchandising push.

--
Thanks to Darren New, the over the counter example.