From: andrel
Date: 15 Oct 2011 05:08:11
Message: <4E994D80.2010705@gmail.com>
On 15-10-2011 1:02, Darren New wrote:
> On 10/14/2011 12:36, andrel wrote:

>> Actually my point is that it *should not* be a user program.
>
> That's likely true. However, the frequency with which this happens
> probably doesn't warrant a kernel mechanism for a UI for picking a task
> and killing it, either. Especially since many times it happens, it's
> nothing to do with a task that's still running that you could actually
> do anything about.
>
> Indeed, it would seem what you'd really want is a way to indicate that
> if a job got to the point where it was paging too often, that would be
> enough to kill it or deprioritize its disk I/O, to the point of
> suspending it for a second or more each time some other process went
> after the disk, sort of like how Linux (seems to) does "low priority"
> disk I/O.
>
>> I know that (long, long time ago I studied OS's a bit). I obviously meant
>> the part of the kernel (and user level program in badly designed systems)
>> that handles the CAD.
>
> Oh, well, you want an entire process management system built into the
> kernel, invocable by a simple keystroke. Probably not realistic in
> modern OSes.

Taking both points together. Breaking out to a program that just lets
you modify priorities would be enough. If that process runs at the
highest level itself it would solve most of the problems.
That said, windows does have a priority mechanism, and the taskmanager
is running at a high level, two levels higher than Blender and Matlab,
so why does it not work?

>> I disagree, there is no other user on my machine than me*. And that is
>> also
>> why your corporate webserver is a wrong example. webservers and user
>> machines are something different. You should not mix those.
>
> If your corporate web server is thrashing, how are you going to stop it?

If it is because someone is using it for other things, like POVray,
Blender or a game fire that person. If it is because of tasks that
should run there fire the IT manager or the financial director,
depending on who was responsible for buying the wrong infrastructure.

>> OS should behave different. Specifically in the area that we are
>> discussing.
>> CAD on a webserver should leave everything running (probably should
>> even be
>> disabled), but when I press CAD on my keyboard because I want control, i
>> *want control* and I know what other processes I am also stopping.
>
> Well, as the Linux enthusiasts would say, "we eagerly await your patch."
> :-)

Windows is open source now? I missed that.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.