POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic : Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:13:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
From: andrel
Date: 29 Sep 2011 16:27:23
Message: <4E84D4AC.9050300@gmail.com>
On 29-9-2011 21:45, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> I watched the extended versions of all three LotR films in the same day
>>> once.
>>>
>>> I felt like I just ran a marathon or something...
>>
>> We do that once a year (this year twice, because we got the Blu-Ray
>> versions). It is a marathon, has to be started around 9 AM to finish at
>> a reasonable time. :)
>
> Oh, wait - I thought you meant you *actually* run a marathon one a year.
> o_O

No big deal, it is only about 115 meters per day.

>>> That's the thing about Episode 3. Who wants to see a guy go mad and
>>> become evil? That's not a very happy story...
>>
>> Not all stories are intended to be 'happy'.
>
> Yeah, that's the part I never understood. If I /wanted/ to be unhappy, I
> could just look at reality. I mean, in a few years' time I'm going to
> die, alone and unloved, and nobody is going to care. That's prety much
> sadder than anything any story writer can come up with.

Says the guy who has a girlfriend.

> I want stories as a /escape/ from reality. :-P
>
>> Empire Strikes Back ends
>> with the rebels getting their asses handed to them. Not exactly a
>> cheerful ending, but most consider it the best of the 6 films.
>
> Um... it ends with the rebels describing the AWESOME PLAN they've
> hatched to epically overthrow the Empire. Which worked, by the way.
> Sounds like a pretty up-beat ending to me...
>
>> I was glad that episode 3 ended the way it did - how else could it have
>> ended, given what the audience knows about Vader after episode 6?
>
> Well, that's the other thing. It's like watching Titanic. Everybody
> dies. You know that before the opening titles. So why bother watching?
>
> (Unless you're like those kids who were overheard laughing at the idea
> that the events debated REALLY DID HAPPEN...)

Episode 3 is one of the most difficult films ever made from a scripting
point of view. The entire audience knows all the characters and all they
have done. There are numerous of gaps between 2 and 4 and you have to
fill them all and still make something interesting, preferably adding
new ideas in the little time that remains between the must do's.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.