POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A rare moment : Re: A rare moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A rare moment
From: andrel
Date: 21 Sep 2011 16:42:12
Message: <4E7A4C25.3040209@gmail.com>
On 21-9-2011 5:58, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 00:27:48 +0200, andrel wrote:
>
>> Just a quick note: competitiveness is partly cultural. In some countries
>> students compete with every other student and the percentage of students
>> that pass is fixed. In other countries you pass if you meet a certain
>> level.
>
> I think competitiveness is part of human nature.  Competition to find the
> 'best' mate, for example - something that drives the race to continue.

I do not remember to have competed with any other person for a mate.
I mean, sure it is a competition, but an abstract one.
Finding a mate is entering a multidimensional competition where you
don't know on what quality you will be scored and the rules change
unpredictably during the competition. And the same silliness applies to
that mate. (I think we might be the only species where we have
simultaneous sexual selection on both genders, though no doubt Gilles
will know a counterexample).

Defending a system where your scores are compared to your fellow
students (including your friends) and only a certain percentage pass, by
referring to this sort of abstract competition is plain silly.

I think Andy said it better than me. The balance between encouraging
competition or cooperation differs between countries and cultures.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.