POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories : Re: Memories Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memories
From: andrel
Date: 24 Aug 2011 15:21:46
Message: <4E554F49.5090800@gmail.com>
On 19-8-2011 17:44, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Oh c'mon now!  Anyone who can think his way out of a wet paper bag has
>>> had this experience repeatedly. We're just socially trained not to say
>>> so.
>>
>> What, that the person being paid to teach you something knows less about
>> it than you already do?
>
> Yes, it's not that uncommon.  In my case, it was an assembly language
> class I took in college - it started from how to use MASM, but I'd
> already used TASM quite extensively - but the course was a required
> course in my degree program.

Mine were e.g. in computer graphics related subjects. We had one teacher
that tried to keep ahead of the class by one week, but failed because of
over consumption of C2H5OH. To this day he is also the only person I
have ever met with a technical university degree that did not understand
the equation for a straight line.
The practical part was more fun, but we had a japanese arts student to
help us there...
The exam was a joke too, we could use our book and the questions were
like 'give the definition of...', 'what two problems are there when
using technique X'.
Aside: my main surprise in this was that the students from CS simply
accepted this level of teaching, many did not even notice.