POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You what? : Re: You what? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You what?
From: andrel
Date: 16 Aug 2011 13:15:54
Message: <4E4AA5DE.5060204@gmail.com>
On 16-8-2011 0:04, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> On 8/15/2011 10:29 AM, andrel wrote:
>> I don't doubt these examples exist, and indeed I know a couple myself.
>> Yet there are also examples of fabricated stories and rushing to
>> conclusions by right wing politicians and columnists. I don't deny your
>> right to be angry about things, just pointing out that you have to be
>> very careful to avoid selective anger. You are more likely to
>> disseminate a story where left wing people (say) make mistakes to your
>> friends then mistakes by the other side. They will be similarly biased
>> in what the send you and when the group is large enough, for all of you
>> the counter examples will be drowned out completely by those that are in
>> favour of what you already think. It is a general group bonding thing
>> that has always worked this way. The new element might be that google
>> and facebook are actively promoting such bonding. That is not what it is
>> meant to do, but it may be the effect.

I do appreciate your contribution, but the situation in Europe and the
US are rather different. In a weirdness competition the US will probably
win hands down. OTOH we have discussed that extensively in the past. I
think that every now and then there should also be a place to discuss
the myriad subtleties of European politics and practices without having
to take sides in intra-US discussions. Just a though.