POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS : Re: The other OS Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:11:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other OS
From: andrel
Date: 4 Aug 2011 12:28:15
Message: <4E3AC8A6.5050607@gmail.com>
On 4-8-2011 18:08, Darren New wrote:
> On 8/4/2011 8:45, andrel wrote:
>> It does. No idea how you got that impression.
>> It does. No idea how you got that impression.
>
> The original versions didn't. It has probably been added to. It
> certainly didn't when I used it for my thesis.

If this is about color, it might indeed have been added later. What I am
using now does support it. Note that the source of TeX has been stable
for a long time, so it probably was possible earlier, but only supported
when there was a sort of generalized output format (or input format for
the printing device, depending on your POV).

>> small comparison: a friend of mine had written her thesis in Word,
>
> Did she use styles in Word? I suspect not.

I guess she didn't and it was more than a decade ago (as was mine)

>> And I had different layouts for chapters depending on whether it
>> was published before or not.
>
> You can do that in Word also, ya know. You just have to use styles from
> the start, instead of trying to plug them in after the fact. Just like TeX.

I know.

> "Why does it insist on putting the images at the top of the next page
> instead of the bottom of the page where I include it?"

You can put them elsewhere, but it indeed is sometimes a fight.

OTOH so is it in Word. When I write a short 4 paper abstract in Word
(for some reason the norm for biomedical engineering conferences)
getting the layout right takes more time than writing. Not the initial
layout, but every time someone edits a piece of text, and again after it
was transported between various versions of Word and/or open office etc.
Often it is more simple to do the complete layout yourself by adding
linefeeds <shudders> than by using the template provided by the
organization. For some reason they often also want to have the original
*.doc file for inclusion in the abstract book. So I can not escape to
something better.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.