POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Onion on Rupert Murdock : Re: The Onion on Rupert Murdock Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Onion on Rupert Murdock
From: andrel
Date: 23 Jul 2011 14:10:23
Message: <4E2B0E8E.5060000@gmail.com>
On 23-7-2011 19:10, Darren New wrote:
> On 7/23/2011 0:52, andrel wrote:
>> What is yesbuthowever for kind of a source? Never heard of it.
>
> Me neither. It was just the first one I found while googling.

Seems fair. Still: blog or news source?

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2011/07/2011718201941133707.html
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07/19/uk.phone.hacking.hoare/index.html

> Unfortunately the cream pie kind of pushed anything more relevant off
> the front pages for a while, so it was surprisingly hard to come up with
> search terms.

Here it was just a very small sideline, then again we don't have any
Murdoch financed 'news' media here. I can imagine that a channel like
Fox used it to make a victim out of Murdoch, even to such an extend that
more serious papers had to follow.

>> 'There were rumours that police were involved. This led to the
>> resignation of two of Scotland Yard’s top cops.'
>
> Well, no. Murdoch was tapping phones by paying the police to do it for him.

Murdoch himself certainly wasn't. The police have been accused of taking
briberies, but that has not been proved as far as I know. I might have
not completely followed the story, but it generally is about hacking not
tapping. I can not remember seeing a direct claim that police was
tapping phones and passing the data to the NotW or any other Murdoch paper.
Anyway, the two policemen resigned because their position was untenable
because there was widespread doubt about their loyalty and professional
conduct. But, and that is the point, their resignation does not prove
anything other than their ability to understand the inevitable. You can
claim otherwise, but a journalist can't, because it implies they are
guilty *because* there is a suspicion. That violates the 'innocent until
proven guilty' principle.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.