POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's irritation : Re: Today's irritation Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's irritation
From: andrel
Date: 28 Jun 2011 17:27:53
Message: <4E0A475A.5050507@gmail.com>
On 22-6-2011 11:57, Invisible wrote:
> For some reason, it really *really* annoys me when people write "i.e."
> when they /obviously/ meant "e.g."
>
> Apparently some people think these mean the same thing.

One day we sent in a paper to a journal and used a latin expression
(mutatis mutandis) that is commonly used in the Netherlands, but perhaps
not elsewhere, and we didn't realize that.
We got a reviewer that remarked about that that we were deliberately
'obfuscating' things and that we should never use latin expressions in
scientific papers. I forgot the exact wording but in telling us so, he
used both e.g. and i.e. Very funny.

Googling 'e.g.' will give a a page explaining the difference between the
two abbreviations as the first hit and for 'i.e.' it is the 4th after
some internet explorer hits. Apparently it is an issue. Can someone
explain why?

BTW: if other pages turn up first for you:
http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles.html

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.