POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rare for a reason : Re: Rare for a reason Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rare for a reason
From: andrel
Date: 28 May 2011 20:00:31
Message: <4DE18CA1.2010208@gmail.com>
On 28-5-2011 14:36, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Such as?
>>
>> basically most of the mathematical knowledge.
>
> I don't see why you need to memorise multiplication tables to understand
> mathematics.

You can not understand long division or long multiplication without
those tables. That means that e.g. the whole concept of prime number
becomes void. As will be most things in number theories. Not that you
actually need them, but not having a feeling for numbers will reduce it
to a collection of unrelated facts.
How to understand how to do long division with polynomials or binary
numbers without knowing how to do it with base 10 infinite precision
numbers?

What I am trying to say is not that the multiplication tables are
important, but that they are needed for the next steps. Long
multiplication and long division are among the first algorithms kids
learn. Skip them and everything in maths and physics (and ...) that uses
algorithms will suffer greatly.

> Indeed, one of the most important things I learned at college is that
> mathematics is *not* just about memorising multiplication tables.
> There's actually far more to it than that. The fact that my school
> education completely failed to mention this is... rather worrying.

And that relates to the other thing I want to get across: maths is part
of our Culture. As a teacher your task is to get across how beautiful it
can be.
ATM the problem is that some decades ago a process was started by which
the teachers teachers were selected on other grounds than knowledge of
the subject. Being taught by people who equated maths with boring sums
and stupid tables, the next generation was even worse. With time the old
teachers resigned and the young generation took over. In short: we are
in a downward spiral.
At the same time also politicians were recruited more and more from the
humanities departments (IIRC none of the politicians of our ruling
parties have a degree in any science of technology subject. In the
largest opposition party we have one real scientist (was professor in
biology, became minister of education and lost the election). In total
we have 150 members of parliament.) Culture is redefined as anything but
science by these incompetents. Not understanding maths is now considered
something to be proud of by those who think of themselves as the elite
of this society. That spiral will make have to make a few more turns
before it goes up again.
I hope Asia will be the guardian of this piece of human culture this
time, like the Arabs in mediaeval times. In the western world science is
on it's way to become extinct with very few changes of stopping the process.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.