POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Art of Computer Programming : Re: The Art of Computer Programming Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Art of Computer Programming
From: andrel
Date: 27 May 2011 13:18:32
Message: <4DDFDCEC.1060702@gmail.com>
On 24-5-2011 11:22, Invisible wrote:

> As I understand it, Gödel's theorem just says that everything is
> impossible. That doesn't sound especially interesting.

As I understand it it simply says that if you have a language that
allows you to make any interesting statement (like: all X have property
Y) than it is possible to state something that cannot be proved nor
disproved within that language.
You can circumvent that by designing something more powerful, but in
that language even more things can not be proved.

It is interesting for at least two reason:
1) the way he proved it
2) it proved that all work done for centuries by the best mathematicians
to come to a simple and consistent set of axioms was useless.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.