From: andrel
Date: 26 Apr 2011 13:29:21
Message: <4DB700F4.7010601@gmail.com>
On 26-4-2011 0:53, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/25/2011 14:33, andrel wrote:
>> Only if it is nor was at any time able to interfere in this universe. (my
>> feeling is that this is correct English, my brain says 'huh, aren't you
>> missing a negation', but where to put it?)
>
> As a native english speaker, I'd say
>
> "Only if it isn't nor ever was at any time able to interfere in this
> universe."
>
> So, yeah, negate "is" as well. I can't say I could actually express as
> rule why that's right, tho.

for me that is strange because you than have a negated and an unnegated
term in a (negated) disjuction.

By De Morgan's law I would transform 'is nor was' into 'is not and was
not' which is what I meant. But are ordinary natives aware of that?

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.