POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? : Re: Old fart? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old fart?
From: andrel
Date: 23 Apr 2011 05:51:29
Message: <4DB2A122.6060105@gmail.com>
On 22-4-2011 17:57, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/22/2011 3:09, andrel wrote:
>> *) Some changes might trigger a tool to create a tool to be rebuild.
>
> Just so you know, this isn't difficult in Windows. Heck, I don't even
> have to write the makefiles myself - the IDE does it.

The IDE's that I (superficially) tried when it was relevant (5-10 years
ago) seemed not able to call ctangle before calling the c-compiler (it
simply assumed you were writing C source directly). Let alone call
cweave or mweave (our matlab frontend) to create the docs or mtangle and
leave the results alone. I think some even created a makefile from
scratch everytime, in order to make it impossible to tweak it yourself.
  Unfortunately also in that period I simply had no time for a full
investigation, people had problems recording and analysing their data.
And I could modify the matlab sources directly. Always planning to
backport in the WEB files of course...

> I have lots of
> data formats that I wrote my own compiler for that automatically gets
> compiled before the data that depends on them gets compiled. Stuff like
> taking a bunch of frames for an image, automatically laying them out on
> a bigger sheet and storing the boundary information separately with an
> annotation that the boundary information depends on the constructed
> sheet and the constructed sheet depends on the individual frames and the
> program depends on the parser for the boundary information and the
> individual boundary information files and etc etc etc. It's not any
> harder (if not easier) to set up in Windows than Linux.

That might be. In Un*x it is simple a set of scripts and makefiles.
Something I understand. IME in windows it was often hard or impossible
to parse such script files. For some reason I quite often end up wanting
to automatically change them, but that may just be me.

Things might have changed a lot since then. What IDE are you using?

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.