POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ceramic Art on Display : Re: Ceramic Art on Display Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ceramic Art on Display
From: Shay
Date: 5 Aug 2010 10:48:19
Message: <4C5ACFD4.1000706@n.n>
On 07/17/2010 05:51 AM, Jim Charter wrote:
> clipka wrote:
>
>> Apparently you don't even need a smoothed mesh. I'd suggest to leave
>> it as it is - all a smoothed mesh could possibly give you in addition
>> is artifacts and longer rendering times.
>>

> Seconded!!!
>
> I have always thought this to be true. I have long fantasized that the
> most realistic skin could actually be gotten with unsmoothed triangles
> in sufficient quantity. This is at least a first step.

Yeah, artifacts, slower renders, and rounding errors.

However...

4.5 hours for a cell phone sized print is going to leave you stuck if
you ever want to render at a decent size, but a gallery scene like this
one should be "fixable." Decimation would improve the speed, but you'll
need smooth triangles for that.

Complex mesh scenes may be a dead-end in POV-Ray. Sure, one can have
dozens of plants or cars or people, but that's not the kind of
complexity I'm talking about. I mean that one cannot have dense meshes
of any sort arranged into a complex "scene geometry." At least, none of
us has (to my knowledge) ever figured out how to do it. Or none of us
has a sufficiently powerful computer. That leaves many of the advanced
users chasing their tails. Put some effort into improving the render
time of this simple scene and become one of the truly elite POVvers
creating printable images.

  -Shay