POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lego Helicopter 645 - Colouring Page : Re: Lego Helicopter 645 - Colouring Page Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lego Helicopter 645 - Colouring Page
From: Reuben Pearse
Date: 18 Jun 2010 03:47:54
Message: <4C1B24AA.2020501@pearse.co.uk>
stbenge wrote:
> Reuben Pearse wrote:
>> Thanks for trying your macro.
>
> No problem.
>
>> I will find the POV code I used for the colouring picture and perhaps
>> you could try your macro with this instead (it seems that mesh2 files
>> created from DXF files via PoseRay work best with the PovEdge macro).
>
> Sure, if you find it, I'll try it again.
>
> The attached image shows the result of an edge-finding function I just
> slapped together. To make it work, I first rendered the helicopter with
> three (R,G,B, X,Y,Z) slope pigments. The image was subtracted from a
> blurred, averaged version of itself to find the edges. There are still a
> lot of details missing. If there were spaces between the bricks, or if
> the bricks were beveled, it might look better. As it is, it's not very
> useful for a coloring page :(
>
> Sam

That looks great! Your macro seems to do a better job on certain parts
of the image such as:
1) The line at the top of the propeller blade
2) The inside of the propeller blade
3) The handle on the door

..but I'm guessing that this may be do with the angle at which the
camera is viewing the object?

I've now uploaded the POV source files that I used to create the
helicopter colouring page. See link below:
http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego/colouring/helicopter

I think for certain types of shape, your macro may render a better
result. I created a colouring page of a Star Wars Battle Droid using the
  same technique, but the PovEdge macro picked up to many edges on the
battle droids head. This can be seen on the following link:

http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego/battle_droid.html

If I upload the source of the battle droid image would you mind trying
your technique with that model?

Reuben