POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Easter : Re: Easter Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Easter
From: andrel
Date: 11 Apr 2010 14:14:33
Message: <4BC21184.4090902@gmail.com>
On 11-4-2010 13:08, clipka wrote:
> Am 11.04.2010 11:54, schrieb andrel:
>
>>> I don't think you can call them dinosaur eggs even technically. They
>>> are bird eggs, not dinosaur eggs. Even if birds are descendants if
>>> dinosaurs that doesn't mean birds *are* dinosaurs.
>>
>> Actually that is exactly what descending means here. Birds are a
>> subgroup of dinosaurs. It works the same as you and me being an ape, a
>> monkey, a mammal etc. Although I admit that there are many people that
>
> Put that way, all the meat you may be eating - whether it be ham, pork
> or even chicken - is actually... fish!

Not really. The name of the group that includes now-living fish as well
as reptiles, dinosaurs, reptiles etc. is vertrebrates. Fish is a strange
mix of all sorts of vertebrates that have two things in common. 1) they
live in water (or at least ...) 2) they have a common ancestor with us
earlier than the first vertebrate that got out of the water and became
the common ancestor of the tetrapods.
If there were still dinosaurs living other than birds we might have a
collective word that analogously describes dinosaurs except birds. As it
happens we don't have such a word because when we realized that birds
descent from other dinosaurs and we might need a word for the others we
knew what the family relation was.

But your remark was much funnier.