POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thought for today : Re: Thought for today Server Time
28 Sep 2024 23:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thought for today
From: andrel
Date: 21 Sep 2009 15:10:59
Message: <4AB7CFC2.9040907@hotmail.com>
On 21-9-2009 15:10, Verm wrote:
> clipka wrote:
>> Invisible schrieb:
>
>> With a laptop about as large as an A4 sheet of paper - about 100
>> square inch - that would give you... 7 Watts. Not /quite/ the order of
>> magnitude you'd probably need...
>
> That's nearly enough to power a low-power laptop.
> The OLPC (one laptop per child) scheme says their laptops are limited to
> use 15 Watts
> http://laptop.org/en/laptop/hardware/specs.shtml

That is what they are limited to. IIRC the goal was about 2W as you can
generate that as a human being of child like proportions. Might be in
this video
http://www.ted.com/talks/nicholas_negroponte_on_one_laptop_per_child_two_years_on.html

> So 7 watts is nearly there - you could fit a fold-out panel on the back
> of the laptop or do something cunning with mirrors / fresnel lenses to
> focus more sun on the panel.
>
> I believe my mini ITX server uses 10 - 20 W depending on load and it's a
> 1 Ghz machine with a fullsize hard drive but no display and it's not the
> most efficient design out there.
>
> On the other hand "my" blade centre with 12 quad core servers in it uses
> 1700 W which is more than 3x my house's average consumption.

There is that story about, I think, Shell that they build a new building
with a giant heater for the winter, just when everything was nearly
finished they brought in a supercomputer that needed a giant cooling
system. A bit more communication would have saved a lot of money.