POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most dangerous species of all : Re: The most dangerous species of all Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:25:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most dangerous species of all
From: somebody
Date: 2 May 2009 10:23:01
Message: <49fc5745$1@news.povray.org>
news:49fbfa7c@news.povray.org...
> somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:
> > Something like that, but a little more complicated. Take voting. I
firmly
> > belive it's irrational for any individual to vote.
>
>   While it wasn't really the point of your post (but just an example),
> I'm curious to know why you think voting is irrational.
>
>   There's a widespread misconception (maybe an intentional one), that
> people can't really affect what happens in their country by voting, and
> thus voting is useless and a delusion.

People can certainly affect what happens by voting. A *person*, on the other
hand, has, in the history of humanity, never affected the outcome in a
general election by his or her vote, as far as I know. Likelihood of that
happening to me is not remotely worth the effort. In conclusion, voting for
me (or any individual) is irrational because: 1) I am not people, but a
person. 2) There are no legal consequences 3) There is no social pressure.

>   Practical examples contradict this notion. Voting has caused changes,
> and people have voted against mainstream and had got some effect on what
> happens.

I am certainly not against others (and by that, I mean those of the same
conviction as myself) voting.