POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most dangerous species of all : Re: The most dangerous species of all Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most dangerous species of all
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 1 May 2009 22:30:42
Message: <49fbb052$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
>> Rational implies that 'ratio' i.e. reasoning was applied. As such the
>> use of irrational when applied to the position of another person in a
>> discussion is a bit like suggesting that that person did not think
>> everything through. Which is of course not a fruitful position to take
>> in a discussion. Used like this it probably needs an identifier, yes.
>>
>> In this case I don't think that is what somebody was meaning. I think he
>> meant that it is a way of thinking that is completely alien to him.
>
> I used "irrational" to mean "not benefiting (or even damagaing towards) the
> self". As in "jumping from a plane without a chute is irrational", or

	And how do you suddenly declare that being concerned about the universe
a few hundred years from now is "not benefiting the self".

	It may not benefit you, but don't assume it's irrational (by your
definition) for others.

--
(Ice rocks hit the hull)  "Captain, we are being hailed."

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl