POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most dangerous species of all : Re: The most dangerous species of all Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most dangerous species of all
From: somebody
Date: 1 May 2009 17:38:58
Message: <49fb6bf2@news.povray.org>
"andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:49F### [at] hotmailcom...
> On 1-5-2009 20:57, Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> > Warp wrote:

Godwins Law, etc?
> >>   I honestly fail to see how the use of the word "irrational" was
meaningless
> >> and without value in his post. It looks to me like a perfectly valid
opinion,
> >> which makes a point.
> >
> > The problem with the word rational is that it's typically used with
> > assumptions that are not commonly shared.

> Rational implies that 'ratio' i.e. reasoning was applied. As such the
> use of irrational when applied to the position of another person in a
> discussion is a bit like suggesting that that person did not think
> everything through. Which is of course not a fruitful position to take
> in a discussion. Used like this it probably needs an identifier, yes.
>
> In this case I don't think that is what somebody was meaning. I think he
> meant that it is a way of thinking that is completely alien to him.

I used "irrational" to mean "not benefiting (or even damagaing towards) the
self". As in "jumping from a plane without a chute is irrational", or
"(voluntarily) voting in a general election is irrational". It's neither
meant as a moral judgement, nor a redundant and/or rude declaration of the
falsity of the previous poster's views.