POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random stuff : Re: Random stuff Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random stuff
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 30 Apr 2009 14:29:00
Message: <49f9edec@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Consider a point exactly between two attractors. A particle at this
> point experiences zero resultant force. Purturbing the point by any
> finite amount to either side will make the resultant force non-zero.
> This will cause a different path to be traced, regardless of how much
> damping is applied.
>
> In general, applying more damping makes the system *less* unstable, but
> does not remove areas of chaotic behavious; it just makes them smaller.

I think you may have some misconceptions about what chaos is.  First
off, sensitivity to initial conditions is a necessary but *not
sufficient* condition for chaotic behavior.  Secondly your example of a
point between the two attractors only argues for this sensitivity at a
manifold of points, and many many non-chaotic systems have such a
feature (for example a simple pendulum).

Thirdly, although it's possible I'm wrong here, if you have *any*
dampening I don't think the system can be counted as chaotic because all
paths will eventually converge to a point.  If the system would be
chaotic without dampening it's sort of a minor point since it can still
look a lot like chaos, but technically I think it's incorrect to call it
chaotic.

Finally, I'm not sure that your system is chaotic.  For inverse-square
springs it's known as Euler's three-body problem and appears to have a
(rather complicated) analytic solution.