POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : TOY ROBOT (Lilliput) (72KB) : Re: TOY ROBOT (Lilliput) (72KB) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TOY ROBOT (Lilliput) (72KB)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 27 Apr 2009 09:23:31
Message: <49f5b1d3$1@news.povray.org>

> You know, I've been trying to do some uv unwrapping on a complex model
> also, and after finally figuring out what causes the "failed to export"
> plugin issue (not placing every face in the model on the UV chart), I
> shot myself in the foot by upgrading to 0.99.04 from 0.98.28 while
> halfway through the model.  So... a word of warning:  finish the modeling
>  process before upgrading!

   I'm already on 0.99.04, but thanks for the tips...

> Anyway, I've since realized that uv mapping in wings still has some
> issues when it comes to Pov exporting, and I will probably try to
> partially avoid it, since the model can be correctly textured using some
> of the image_map features directly in POV-ray, if the textures for the
> object are selected correctly (that is, marking which areas in wings that
>  will receive which image_map in povray).

   You can also use Poseray... it does a better job, specially on how it
handles the textures, but in general you have much more control on the
exported code.

> P.S. Seeing the rusty version was actually kind of sad.

   Then better don't look at the new version... :)

> However, I noticed that the arms are still positioned as though the robot
>  were walking.  Are they part of the model that way, or are they cut for
> animation?

   No, I didn't think at all about animating it, but in this case it will be
very easy to animate it in POV-Ray, just exporting the arms as a separate
mesh and using some simple transformations.

> I keep meaning to write a wiki article on using marker lights in wings so
>  you can animate your models, but I never get around to it...

   Now I don't know what you're talking about... marker lights? You mean
placing lights to use the points later, or something like that?

--
Jaime