POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hotel crime scene : Re: Spotlights with photons (143KB) (Was: Hotel crime scene) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spotlights with photons (143KB) (Was: Hotel crime scene)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 27 Apr 2009 07:36:01
Message: <49f598a1@news.povray.org>

> Ahh, I see the flaw. The "shadow map" from the light and fitting is an
> approximation, but from your experiment it sounds like it's not a close
> enough one to actual photons...

   No, in fact it is very close to the photons effect, in some aspects better
looking, although not correct, of course. See attached pics...

> Hmm, perhaps a no_area_light object modifier added to the SDL? That would
>  probably be useful in general to be honest.

   Yes, I think that would be the only solution: the sphere with the
"photon map" could be flagged as "no_area_light". But I cannot think of any
other situation where it will be useful such a modifier...

> I can't think of a multiple light solution that would work, and even if
> there was one it wouldn't be a general solution to a scene.

   Well, lets wait... we all know POV-Ray unexplored possibilities are
endless, and perhaps there is already a clever way to do it, waiting for
someone to discover it.

> Sorry my idea wasn't a winner in the end!

   It was a very good idea, and just in case, I will archive it under my
/stalled folder...

--
Jaime

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'fakespot_map.jpg' (22 KB) Download 'fakespot_test.jpg' (22 KB)

Preview of image 'fakespot_map.jpg'
fakespot_map.jpg

Preview of image 'fakespot_test.jpg'
fakespot_test.jpg