POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hotel crime scene : Re: Spotlights with photons (143KB) (Was: Hotel crime scene) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:13:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spotlights with photons (143KB) (Was: Hotel crime scene)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 25 Apr 2009 02:33:54
Message: <49f2aed2@news.povray.org>

> Your results have come out much better than mine did though - it was the first
> time I used photons, so I probably didn't understand what I was doing
> properly...

   Are you supposing that I know what I'm doing with photons? ...then you
are wrong! ;)

   Seriously, I only managed to get them right by using two passes, because
on "direct" usage I was getting only the photons but not the original light
source... by loading the photons on a second pass I got both the light and
the photons.

> My plan had a "part two" to it (which I also didn't manage to do properly) - I
> wanted to render the light and fixture, without any other scene elements, to a
> full spherical camera, and use that as the transparency map for the light in a
> real scene (possibly with the fixture modified with no_shadow). If you get what
> I mean...
>
> It's still on my list of things to experiment with, but perhaps as you are
> having far more success than I ever did, it might be something you would find
> interesting?

   Very interesting idea... and I didn't think of it! But now you ruined my
Saturday plans... I'm not able to resist the temptation!

   How will you proceed? ...perhaps projecting it into a sphere?

--
Jaime