POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fighting piracy on two fronts : Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts Server Time
29 Sep 2024 21:26:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts
From: somebody
Date: 24 Apr 2009 04:38:31
Message: <49f17a87$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:30:32 -0600, somebody wrote:

> > But I believe presently the technology and power is there for Google to
> > block indexing of known pirate sites

> I disagree.
>
> Dealing with sites that actively provide cracks/serial numbers/etc is
> like playing a game of whack-a-mole.
>
> I actually have to - in my day job - deal with sites like this.  Not for
> software, but for test "braindumps".  Those braindumps are an illegal use
> of copyrighted material that is provided to the test-taker under a non-
> disclosure (the candidate taking the exam must agree to the NDA prior to
> taking the exam).
>
> We shut one down, and two pop up to replace it.  Often run by the same
> people, and often run out of the same country.
>
> I get to meet with corporate lawyers next week to discuss how we approach
> this problem.
>
> Solving the problem is not as easy as one might think.

I didn't mean to imply it was an easy problem. It's a cat and mouse game,
much the same as the malware problem where the malware authors will always
be one step ahead of anti-malware software. That doesn't mean there is not a
definite benefit, even if one cannot eradicate the problem utterly and
completely. In your case, you don't give up, do you? Using a similar mix of
blacklisting and heuristics employed by anti-virus programs, players like
Google who both have the technology and the power can make a huge dent in
the problem. The locks on our doors won't stop all thieves either, but they
will discourage casual ones.