POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That time again : Re: That time again Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That time again
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Apr 2009 07:46:52
Message: <49edb22c$1@news.povray.org>
>> Your point being...?
>
> Is it hard work playing the keyboard :-D

Why yes, yes it is.

The first bar alone as THIRTY TWO NOTES.

FOR THE RIGHT HAND ONLY.

WITH NO RESTS.

It has another dozen or so for the left hand. And that's just the first
bar. The piece is several hundred bars long. And the arpeggio, while it
does swap from hand to hand (which is very hard, by the way), contains
not one single rest for the entire 6 minute duration of the piece.

The 4th bar or so contains a chord for the left hand containing a major
12th interval. (Recall that an octave is an 8th, so a 12th is even
larger than an octave. And this chord has *other* notes in the middle of
it.)

Arguably the most challenging thing is that the arpeggio contains
sections where it is actually PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to reach all of the
notes at once, so you MUST move your hand up and down the keyboard as
you play it, finding and refinding the notes each time you need to play
them. This involves some unusually advanced hand movements that I'm not
used to doing.

Of course, doing this with my LEFT hand is even harder. Usually the bass
part of a piece is much slower, so usually your left hand doesn't need
to do very much. Not so with this tocatta. That took me weeks to adjust
to...

In summary, YES, it's very hot work! :-P

(And when your fingers get hot, they get wet and slipperly and slide off
the keys and it's impossible to play well.)