POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What rotten granite! : Re: What rotten granite! Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What rotten granite!
From: stbenge
Date: 20 Apr 2009 14:53:35
Message: <49ecc4af$1@news.povray.org>
Carlo C. wrote:
> A 2d experiment, granite, granite, granite... rotten granite.
> Personally I find this granite obscene.
> POV-Ray, obviously, no-antialias, with minor postprocessing: contrast and
> saturation.

My first thought is that the large-scale staining occurs too frequently.
Then I see that you might be using the "granite" pattern for the grains.
I find that "crackle solid" gives a more realistic appearance as it
simulates the crystalline nature of real granite. Real granite is
usually composed of quartz, feldspar and mica. The mica and feldspar
occur as crystal grains, the quartz occurs as amorphous, blob-like
grains. The quartz is a bluish white, the feldspar an off-white,
possibly pink color (I can't see pink too well), and the mica in granite
is most often a greenish or reddish copper color, but very, very dark of
course.

You might already be using crackle solid for the grains, but I can't
tell by your picture. If not, then consider finding a chunk of real
granite and studying it from a crackle solid perspective.

I hope some of this helps.

Sam