POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NP-complete : Re: NP-complete Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NP-complete
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Apr 2009 11:30:04
Message: <49e4abfc$1@news.povray.org>

>>> Really, try implementing a brute force algorithm and see for yourself
>>> how it scales.  Ten nodes may work, but what about twenty?
>>
>> Ah, I see. So you mean the problem is that *other people* might try to
>> draw big graphs with it?
>
> Heh, yeah I suppose that's the idea.  I think that "works with graphs of
> up to 12 nodes!" is maybe not the best feature for a piece of software
> to have.

I wonder how big the graphs they use it for are? I mean, you can only
fit a small number of nodes in a single drawing anyway...

>> Trees that occasionally have nodes pointing back to their ancesters,
>> yes. ;-)
>
> Ahh, that makes sense.  If I remember you didn't want to order of the
> nodes to be able to change, in which case you really don't have as much
> choice

Yeah, I basically already know the relative XY positions of the nodes, I
just need to put in appropriate spacing and draw the edges nicely. (I
haven't figured out how to control font selection with Cairo yet!)

>> Weirdly, GraphViz manages to come up with some *really* strange
>> layouts - and refuses to obey my hints to lay the graph out the way I
>> actually want it...
>
> I haven't actually used the program, so I unfortunately can't be of much
> help here.  Since you have a small graph and pretty specific formatting
> requirements, what happened with the app you were writing yourself to do
> the layout?

I think I'm going to reimplement it in light of what I've learned from
GraphViz. (E.g., it uses invisible nodes that don't show up on the
drawing, but *do* help it to route edges so they don't collide. I can
copy that easily enough.)