POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NP-complete : Re: NP-complete Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NP-complete
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 14 Apr 2009 10:42:48
Message: <49e4a0e8$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> The paper I'm looking at has several places where the program has to
> guess a solution that is "good enough" because finding the perfect
> solution is "NP-complete". Makes it sound like solving such a problem is
> somehow "impossible" - but as you say, all it really means is that it's
> slow. (Or at least, *potentially* slow.)

Yeah, that's basically correct.  It's a pretty well justified approach
though since often NP-complete problems will take too long to solve
practically in the average case as well as the worst case.

If you haven't done so before, it can be enlightening to write a program
to solve some NP-complete problem by brute force, and then get a feel
for how quickly its running time explodes on larger problems.  It's easy
to rationally know what `exponential' means, but I've known many people
to still be surprised when they see for themselves what that entails in
real life.

What's the paper for out of curiosity?