POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NP-complete : Re: NP-complete Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NP-complete
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Apr 2009 04:48:50
Message: <49e44df2@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:

> In practice, you should interpret a problem being NP-complete to mean
> that any known algorithm will have an exponential worst-case running
> time.  This does not necessarily mean that you can't efficiently solve
> the problem instances you encounter in practice, or that it's impossible
> to quickly solve for an approximate solution.  What sorts of efficiency
> gains are possible over the worse-case behavior of an exact algorithm
> will depend on the particulars of the problem and the domain to which
> you're applying it.

The paper I'm looking at has several places where the program has to
guess a solution that is "good enough" because finding the perfect
solution is "NP-complete". Makes it sound like solving such a problem is
somehow "impossible" - but as you say, all it really means is that it's
slow. (Or at least, *potentially* slow.)