POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A geographical question (in a broad sense) : Re: A geographical question (in a broad sense) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A geographical question (in a broad sense)
From: Alain
Date: 12 Apr 2009 21:14:48
Message: <49e29208$1@news.povray.org>
Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann nous illumina en ce 2009-04-12 10:12 -->
> High!
>
> While waiting for help with the rail segments connection problem, I
> reactivated a very old project put to hibernation back in 1999: a
> full-fledged POV Solar System, this time with astronomically correct
> elliptical orbits of planets and moons and a procedural starry
> sky_sphere gleaned from star data from a German astronomical atlas
> ("Karkoschka"), as I found a promising tutorial on computing planetary
> positions on the website of a Swedish amateur astronomer
> ( http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/comp/tutorial.html )
>
> I programmed several camera modes, one of them with the camera pointing
> towards a customizable location stated in geographical coordinates on
> Earth. As long I left my Earth sphere standing upright in space, this
> works fine - but how do I correct the camera's orientation for Earth's
> axial tilt (rotate <23.4333, 0, 0>?
>
> I quickly understood that the tilt angle multiplied with the sine of the
>  longitude (with western longitudes being positive, eastern ones
> negative) had to be added to/subtracted from the original latitude - but
> how is the longitude adjusted afterwards?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar
If you start ON the ecliptic, or Earth's orbital plane, at a point based on the
Earth's position at the time of an equinox, you don't have to compensate. In
this case, the rotation is only around a single axis.

Another aproach:
Don't tilt the earth, DO tilt everything else! The end visual result will be
exactly the same.

As the camera is selected with a variable, you can use that same variable to
tilt, or not, your "universe".

--
Alain
I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.