POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Pov-Ray Include File Initiative - Metals.inc Update : Re: The Pov-Ray Include File Initiative - Metals.inc Update Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Pov-Ray Include File Initiative - Metals.inc Update
From: Alain
Date: 12 Apr 2009 20:57:33
Message: <49e28dfd$1@news.povray.org>
[GDS|Entropy] nous illumina en ce 2009-04-12 05:45 -->
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for lack of updates recently; got a new GF...and you know how
> consuming those can be. :-)
>
> Before I proceed with the currently nonexistent waters.inc and
> waterSurfaces.inc, I have a few questions that I wish to pose to the
> community.
>
> 1) how should I handle materials? Those weren't typically used in the .inc
> files before, and it could be confusing to users calling textures when
> confronted with a surprise material.
>
> 2) there have been a few suggestions as to the method of handling radiosity
> compatibility. How should I do this? I had intended on zeroing ambient, but
> there was a thread in which an emissive (needs new keyword due to media
> conflict) property was defined. Though a good idea, can this be implemented?
> If not, then I think I should just zero ambient as planned. Another method
> from Christian F. defined a macro on/off for ambient. Is there a consensus?
> Should I post a survey to my site or something?
>
> That's about it for now.
>
> I'm going to proceed with waters.inc under a new post, and I thank all
> members who submitted metal textures. If you have more, go for it and post
> them under the metals.inc thread.
>
> As a side note I am writing a simple prog to store textures in an xml file
> with pre rendered pictures displayed on demand. This might progress to
> integration with povray, who knows...right now its just meant to organize
> submitted textures and dump them to include files. If I end up adding much
> more to this and it becomes useful, I just may open source it and post it as
> a utility. A HDD search feature would be nice but I'm not likely to
> implement that...I'd hate to have to write that regex.. O_o'
>
> ian

It's easy to have a material AND a texture.
If someone want a texture, he use the texture. If he want a material, then, he
use the material.
You can diferiensate them with a prefix:
"P_" for pigments.
"T_" for textures. You also can have no prefix for the texture.
"M_" for materials.
"I_" for interiors.
"F_" for finishes.

As long as you are self concistent, it should be OK.

--
Alain
For here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead.