POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A geographical question (in a broad sense) : Re: A geographical question (in a broad sense) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A geographical question (in a broad sense)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 12 Apr 2009 19:57:59
Message: <49e28007$1@news.povray.org>
High!

Lukas Winter schrieb:

 > So... wait, you have a "full-fledged POV solar system" and no way of
converting coordinates? How can you place _any_ object if you do not
have cartesian coordinates which POV uses everywhere?
 > Take a look at chapter 3 of the tutorial, there the author describes
how to convert geometric and cartesian coordinates.

Which tutorial? I'm not sure whether you mean the official POV-Ray
tutorial coming with the Windows version...

 > So, how do you for example place the sun? Do you do something like...
 > object
 > {
 >   sun
 >   translate z*suns_distance_from_earth
 >   rotate x*suns_latitude_viewed_from_earth
 >   rotate y*suns_longitude_viewd_from_eart
 > } ?

No, of course not... I use a heliocentric system with the Sun sitting at
the origin! But this doesn't tell me yet how to convert Earth surface
geographic coordinates to cartesian coordinates...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar