POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A geographical question (in a broad sense) : Re: A geographical question (in a broad sense) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:12:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A geographical question (in a broad sense)
From: Lukas Winter
Date: 12 Apr 2009 16:51:50
Message: <49e25466$1@news.povray.org>
Am Sun, 12 Apr 2009 19:05:55 +0200 schrieb Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann:

> High!
>
> Lukas Winter schrieb:
>
>  > Why not do these calculations in cartesian coordinate space? I
> suppose you already have a way of converting a point from earth's local
> geographical coordinate system to earth's local cartesian coordinate
> system.
>
> No, I do not yet... how could I do this?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

So... wait, you have a "full-fledged POV solar system" and no way of
converting coordinates? How can you place _any_ object if you do not have
cartesian coordinates which POV uses everywhere?
Take a look at chapter 3 of the tutorial, there the author describes how
to convert geometric and cartesian coordinates.
The author of this tutorial calculates everything in respect of an
observer on the surface of the earth which I think is the traditional
astronomic approach but could pose some difficulties in POV. If you have
already followed this tutorial all along then it would be nonsense to
abandon this way of calculation.
So, how do you for example place the sun? Do you do something like...
object
{
  sun
  translate z*suns_distance_from_earth
  rotate x*suns_latitude_viewed_from_earth
  rotate y*suns_longitude_viewd_from_eart
} ?
I think the tutorial suggests doing that but it makes everything
extremely complicated. No wonder the geocentric model is no longer used...
Sorry, I can't come up with an answer to your original question without
knowing how you set up your coordinate system.