POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A geographical question (in a broad sense) : A geographical question (in a broad sense) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  A geographical question (in a broad sense)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 12 Apr 2009 10:11:52
Message: <49e1f6a8$1@news.povray.org>
High!

While waiting for help with the rail segments connection problem, I
reactivated a very old project put to hibernation back in 1999: a
full-fledged POV Solar System, this time with astronomically correct
elliptical orbits of planets and moons and a procedural starry
sky_sphere gleaned from star data from a German astronomical atlas
("Karkoschka"), as I found a promising tutorial on computing planetary
positions on the website of a Swedish amateur astronomer
( http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/comp/tutorial.html )

I programmed several camera modes, one of them with the camera pointing
towards a customizable location stated in geographical coordinates on
Earth. As long I left my Earth sphere standing upright in space, this
works fine - but how do I correct the camera's orientation for Earth's
axial tilt (rotate <23.4333, 0, 0>?

I quickly understood that the tilt angle multiplied with the sine of the
  longitude (with western longitudes being positive, eastern ones
negative) had to be added to/subtracted from the original latitude - but
how is the longitude adjusted afterwards?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar