POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : COBOL Wow : Re: COBOL Wow Server Time
29 Sep 2024 13:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: COBOL Wow
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Apr 2009 16:08:56
Message: <49e0f8d8$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I don't know if it's just that I have been exposed way too much to the
> C family of languages

I think that's it. As I said, one of the original design goals was that
non-programmers could read it.  It's pretty straightforward what each
individual sentence does. The overall structure is obscured in the way you
say, in part due to the verbosity making it spread much bigger, and in part
due to the lack of familiar control structures, indenting, etc.

>   Maybe it's the lack of delimiters. It's difficult to see where logical
> code blocks begin and end when there are no visually distinguishing delimiter
> symbols. Not even indentation to make them stand out (such as eg. in Python).

Yeah. On the other hand, lots of COBOL programs tend to not have a whole lot
of deep structure in them, in my very limited experience. One tends to
structure 30 programs with bunches of intermediate files rather than one
program with 30 subroutines nesting 5 deep.  Not unlike shell scripting, sorta.

Of course, it's from before structured programming, let alone before OO or
anything like that, so yeah, it's going to have funky control structures.
Altho I did see a book on object-oriented COBOL sitting on a shelf not too
long ago.

>   Probably a question of getting accustomed to the syntax.

That too.  The data declarations are pretty cool for a business language,
tho. Lots of the older machines had hardware support for COBOL data types,
back when doing things like printf() or decimal arithmetic in software was
prohibitively slow.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)