POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Next Generation SDL Brainstorming : Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming Server Time
14 May 2024 22:05:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming
From: SharkD
Date: 11 Apr 2009 01:34:55
Message: <49e02bff$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> As a matter of fact, if Lua was a good deal closer to C, I might already be
> jumping up shouting "that's our language!"

Well, there's good news:

"Lua is implemented as a library, written in C. Being an extension
language, Lua has no notion of a ``main'' program: it only works
embedded in a host client, called the embedding program. This host
program can invoke functions to execute a piece of code in Lua, can
write and read Lua variables, and can register C functions to be called
by Lua code. Through the use of C functions, Lua can be augmented to
cope with a wide range of different domains, thus creating customized
programming languages sharing a syntactical framework."

The compiled bytecode is also indistinguishable from C.

-Mike