POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : generic human model--stand-in or place-holder : Re: generic human model--stand-in or place-holder Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: generic human model--stand-in or place-holder
From: Alain
Date: 10 Apr 2009 16:13:08
Message: <49dfa854$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth nous illumina en ce 2009-04-10 02:33 -->
> My little attempt at modeling human male anatomy, using just simple objects and
> unions (if a superellipsoid can be considered a 'simple object'!) No meshes or
> CGS difference/merge, so the model is very quick to render. This started out as
> basically a challenge to myself, to see if I could create a reasonable human
> facsimile 'from memory' so to speak, without resorting to art or anatomy books
> (which I have loads of--but that would have muddied the experient!) It's meant
> only as a 'stand-in' model for testing out scenes.
>
> I'm planning on adding this to the POV-Ray objects collection, but wanted to
> post some images first, just to give folks a chance to make some suggestions.
> But only a *few* please--it's just meant AS a quickly-rendering place-holder,
> nothing more. Not something I want to spend *too* much more time at. (Every
> time I use this model, I see small ways to tweak and add to it--but lately that
> process has been getting a bit ridiculous. so it's time to post the thing.)
> Nevertheless, suggestions *are* welcome. :-) And if it doesn't look too useful,
> I guess I need to know that as well. :-[
>
> I also posted an animation over at p.b.a, so you can get a better look at it 'in
> the round' as it rotates.
>
> It's basically just a static model, as you see it: no I-K or other special
> facility for rotating the joints--although that's something I might add later,
> in a 'new and improved' version...at least making basic rotation of the parts
> easier. And I might even work on that egg-like head!
>
> I want to make him as easy to 'substitute' for a real figure as possible, so a
> few questions: Should I scale the model to be 1-unit high? Or some other scale
> based on, say, typical imported POSER figures (whatever that scale is)? How
> about the y-positioning? (Presently he stands with his feet touching y=0;
> should he be centered on the origin instead?)
>
> Since the model started out far simpler, as just a personal project, the various
> parts were not made (or placed or scaled) in a truly logical fashion. Kind of a
> mish-mash. But as a temporary place-holder model, it serves its purpose.
>
> KW

The feet at y=0 is a good positioning for any standing figure.
As for the scalling, scaling it in "actual" units, ether imperial or metric,
seems maybe more usefull than 1 POV unit tall. Usualy, scenes where you use a
human figure are scaled to real world units.

It it posable?

--
Alain
One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.