POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How True : Re: How True Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How True
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 9 Apr 2009 14:21:43
Message: <49de3cb7$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Another problem is that they weren't really as surprising. The first
> movie explored a fascinating idea with lots of possibilities. The other
> two simply continued on. IMO.
>
> Sort of like how Episodes 1-3 had to have a certain outcome, so it
> really wasn't possible to make it surprising that Anikan turned, or that
> the jedi got slaughtered, or whatever.
>
> IME, when a first movie is good, the second movie sucks because they put
> in all the parts they thought made the first movie unique instead of all
> the parts that made it *good*, and by the third movie they've figured
> out why the second bombed.  With a few notable exceptions, of course.

I like how they managed to make Shrek II *better* than Shrek I. As in,
geniunely better. Actually, there have been a few films like that. All
too often, a film comes out, it's a success, they make a sequel - even
if that doesn't make any sense. But sometimes, they manage to make a
really good sequel.

Another example would be Back To The Future. Every single episode was cool.

On the other hand, Shrek the third. Oh dear. I mean, it's OK, but it's
not that great.

Similarly, Pirates of the Caribean. First one was great. Second one was
great. Third one was... hmm. It all kinda went a bit wrong, eh?

Only vaguely similar: The Mummy. Shallow, pointless, but entertaining.
The Mummy Returns. Also shallow. Also pointless. And also very
enjoyable, managing to include a few nice twists (although some of them
were perhaps a little OTT). Tomb of the Dragon Emporer. Uh... no, I'm
sorry, it sucks. Sure, lots of big-name actors. But... wuh? No, this is
lame.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/