POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV 3.7 metals.inc; post your textures here : Re: POV 3.7 metals.inc; post your textures here Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.7 metals.inc; post your textures here
From: Alain
Date: 3 Apr 2009 14:49:18
Message: <49d65a2e@news.povray.org>
clipka nous illumina en ce 2009-04-03 05:54 -->
> "Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:
>> how about making the default value for emission the same as the
>> ambient-value?
>
> No, definitely not. In a radiosity scene, only very, very few textures are
> typically intended to emit light. But in a non-radiosity scene, you probably
> want many, many textures to have an ambient term, in order to approximate
> "ambient illumination" (i.e. illumination by light scattered diffusely from
> other objects).
>
> So the typical use case would be to have ambient X emission 0.
>

>> Also, I don't think emission should have any meaning when not used with
>> radiosity.
>
> I disagree.
>
> In a radiosity-only scene, of course you want emission to have an effect,
> because there'd be no other way to get light into the scene (except for a sky
> sphere).
>
> When lighting the same scene classically, you probably want the same thing to
> look similar when directly visible in the scene. For this, it will have to
> emit, too.
>

> Christian's idea to leave ambient fully functional in radiosity scenes for
> compatibility, and expecting the user to actively turn it off by setting
> ambient_light to 0, seems the most viable solution to me.

Setting ambient_lights 0 is definetly NOT a viable solution. As you said, it
effectively turn OFF any and all ambient, for every finish, even those you WANT
to have an ambient value and emit light.

--
Alain
   I knew a girl so ugly that she was known as a two-bagger. That's When you put