POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A lot of mcpov renderings here : Re: A lot of mcpov renderings here Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:11:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A lot of mcpov renderings here
From: Ive
Date: 31 Mar 2009 10:09:21
Message: <49d22411$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> I have no idea which of these approaches would leave you with the least loss. I
> guess (a), but it depends on how Photoshop does things internally. If for
> example it stays in the 8 bit integer domain for its computations, (b) is
> obviously crap; but if it uses floating-point math (or at least 16-bit
> arithmetics) during any "merge layers" operation, but converts back to 8-bit
> after such an operation, you're definitely better off with (b).
>
> In any case, Photoshop can never do as good as POV.

err, just for the records, P'shop works well with 16 bit/channel (not
only for temporary computation) since more then 12 years, does most
if its internal calculation in the L*a*b color space (so yes, it uses
fp) and has since CS3 (hmm, around since 2 years I guess) even full
support for HDRI in 32bit/channel floating point format. P'shop even
supports OpenEXR HDR images as written quite nicely by the POV 3.7 - the
format I use most of the time.
Oh, and Photoshop works within a specified color space where POV-Ray not
even knows what a color space is (e.g. I bet POV simply clips negative
RGB components to 0 at some stage).
Anyway I'm not getting payed by Adobe by saying so (in fact I dislike
them for most of their company policy) so I'll shut up for now.

-Ive