POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media & Glass Question : Re: Media & Glass Question Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media & Glass Question
From: Alain
Date: 30 Mar 2009 11:03:00
Message: <49d0df24$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback nous illumina en ce 2009-03-30 08:52 -->
> "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
>> Can you post a shot of the issue?
>
> In this image the ior=1.25 ... it shows the artifact clearer, at ior=1.5 the
> pattern is repeated multiple times.
>
> The flame macro has three media containers, two near the flame itself
> (spheres) and a cylinder going up in y dirirection.
>
>> I'd expect you to be experienced enough to make sure the flame container
> doesn't
>> intersect with the glass globe, so I'm very curious what type of artifact
> you
>> have dug up there.
>
> yes, that was one of my first stops in my trouble shooting process ... I
> have a conditional that allows me to switch from textures to pigments with
> no transparency.
>
> the z axis runs through flame adjust and the sphere containers near the
> flame are irregular scaled (thin in x dir)
>
> when I run into problems like these I always turn to the documentation for
> ideas and played around with maxtracelevel. I had 20 in globals block ...
> tried doubling it several times and the problem got worse. decreased it and
> I reproduced the black effect that overlapping media containers causes. one
> test I didn't do was without radiosity ... I'm not sure if that's worth the
> effort adcbailout maybe??? But I'm not sure if that makes sense either. As I
> said before the scene seems mechanically sound (not collisions) .... I'm out
> of ideas.

Does your glass have a thickness, or is it solid trough?
Now, there is a magnifier like effect that should NOT be there. Then, the
flame's container apears to have an ior of 1.000.

--
Alain
Don't try so hard, the best things come when you least expect them to.