POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media & Glass Question : Re: Media & Glass Question Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:13:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media & Glass Question
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 30 Mar 2009 07:53:28
Message: <49d0b2b8@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.49cfaf4030aab812ea392f10@news.povray.org...
> Can you post a shot of the issue?

In this image the ior=1.25 ... it shows the artifact clearer, at ior=1.5 the
pattern is repeated multiple times.

The flame macro has three media containers, two near the flame itself
(spheres) and a cylinder going up in y dirirection.

> I'd expect you to be experienced enough to make sure the flame container
doesn't
> intersect with the glass globe, so I'm very curious what type of artifact
you
> have dug up there.

yes, that was one of my first stops in my trouble shooting process ... I
have a conditional that allows me to switch from textures to pigments with
no transparency.

the z axis runs through flame adjust and the sphere containers near the
flame are irregular scaled (thin in x dir)

when I run into problems like these I always turn to the documentation for
ideas and played around with maxtracelevel. I had 20 in globals block ...
tried doubling it several times and the problem got worse. decreased it and
I reproduced the black effect that overlapping media containers causes. one
test I didn't do was without radiosity ... I'm not sure if that's worth the
effort adcbailout maybe??? But I'm not sure if that makes sense either. As I
said before the scene seems mechanically sound (not collisions) .... I'm out
of ideas.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ior1_25.png' (234 KB)