POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Old & New (Elephant Dream) : Re: Old & New (Elephant Dream) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:10:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old & New (Elephant Dream)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 Mar 2009 11:01:15
Message: <49ce3bbb@news.povray.org>
"Eriban" <pov### [at] spamgourmetcom> schreef in bericht > I have
viewed the new image on two different computers, and the contrast looks
> completely different. On my Mac at home the contrast is looking pretty
> okay;
> you can clearly make out the details of the little elephant. However, on
> my
> Windows machine at work is pretty much solid black, hardly distinguishable
> from
> the rest of its surroundings.
>
> This is something I still struggle with with my own images as well.
> Depending on
> the computer, the image format, or even the application I use to view it,
> the
> image can look significantly different. This makes fine-tuning of the
> color and
> light settings quite difficult of course.

Hm. I can view the image fine on my Windows PC. The scene was originally
written for POV 3.5 (Moray). In my initial rewrite I adapted everything to
the standard 3.6 version (assumed_gamma 1.0 etc), then rendered in 3.7
without further ado, except of course commenting out all commands that are
obsolete for that version. Between the two versions, I have no difference is
contrast. Also, the display gamma is correct too. This means that your
machine at work has a differing display gamma most probably.

> Anyway, I like where this image is going.

Thanks!

Thomas