POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Next Generation SDL Brainstorming : Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming Server Time
29 Jun 2024 00:54:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming
From: Chris B
Date: 28 Mar 2009 07:39:21
Message: <49ce0c69@news.povray.org>
"Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message

> In fact, if that's the case then the current parser could be kept for
> backwards compatability, activated by an appropriate #version directive
> (or whatever the equivalent would be in the new language) but remain
> static and disallowing access to features exclusive to the new language.

This would make a lot of sense, at the very least as a transition strategy.
Otherwise the cutover is likely to leave most of the existing community
using the scene files, macros and utilities that they know work with the old
software and a small new community that learns the new software.

Having such a transition would permit teething problems with the new
unproven approach to be ironed out and omissions, where the new software
can't do all that the old software did, to be bridged. It would also allow
time for a reasonable proportion of the assets developed for POV-Ray to be
migrated across. A process that won't really even be able to start in
earnest until V4 is demonstrably stable (unless of course we build 6 years
of Beta testing in the plan :-)).

Regards,
Chris B.