POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Textured block pattern problem : @Chris B.: new flags for flags.inc! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  @Chris B.: new flags for flags.inc!
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 27 Mar 2009 00:30:14
Message: <49cc5656@news.povray.org>
High!

http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index2.php?objectName=Flags&contributorTag=chrisb

> then we could build a pretty comprehensive set (each is simply defined
> in it's own macro which sets the Flags_Texture identifier using a
> texture scaled to fit a unit square.
>
> It currently contains procedural textures for "Olympic", "UnionJack",
> "UnionFlag1606", "StGeorgesCross", "StAndrewsCross",
> "StPatricksCross","Wales", "Canada", "USA", "Australia", "New Zealand",
> "Ireland", "France", "Belgium", "Italy", "Germany", "Austria",
> "Luxembourg", "Netherlands", "Hungary", "Armenia", "Peru", "Nigeria".

That's a good idea... I just spent this night (CET) working myself into
the logic of your files - and, so, contributing 18 additional flags your
collection (I think it's more creative than just daddling away my
lifetime with Freeciv...)!

I added flags of the following countries:
Bulgaria, Bolivia, Estonia, Gabon, Lithuania, Russia, Yemen, Ivory
Coast, Chad, Guinea, Mali, Romania, Sierra Leone, Indonesia, Monaco,
Poland, Ukraine and Mauritius

They are all still pretty simple, straight gradient patterns without any
coats of arms; to do Indonesia, Monaco, Poland and Ukraine, I added a
TwoStripeFlag() macro, also FourStripeFlag() for Mauritius (which is
currently the only country flying a simple 4-stripe flag, but who knows
that this may not change in the future?).

Another addition is a third parameter "light" for the Flags() macro: if
"light" is set to 0, the texture gets ambient 1 and diffuse 0 in its
finish, making it usable without light sources.

Oh, and I've got a suggestion for the more sophisticated flags: as
bi-/tri-/tetracolors, circles, crescents, stars, crosses and diagonal
stripes are quite common elements of flags throughout the world, it
would be more elegant to define them via global macros and then build
layered textures using them for any specific flag!

See you in Khyberspace!

Now playing: Clouds (Rosenstein & Wagener)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'newflags1.png' (21 KB) Download 'newflags2.png' (20 KB)

Preview of image 'newflags1.png'
newflags1.png

Preview of image 'newflags2.png'
newflags2.png