POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Next Generation SDL Brainstorming : Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming Server Time
29 Apr 2024 01:37:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming
From: Chris B
Date: 26 Mar 2009 14:37:18
Message: <49cbcb5e$1@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.49cbb9e38a87b99f93bfb07f0@news.povray.org...
> While 3.7 is still in beta stage, I think it is worth already starting to
> think
> about the next generation SDL, which I guess will be the key feature of
> POV
> 4.0.
>
> Yes, a lot has been said about this before, but I propose doing some more
> systematic brainstorming.

A couple of things that I didn't yet see discussed that I think are going to
need to be added into this discussion at some stage:

Backwards Compatibility
There's a lot of time been invested in tutorials, interfaces, macros and
objects.
Much of the written information out on the Internet (including the years of
newsgroup postings) doesn't specify which version it relates to, so if this
material is rendered largely redundant it's probably going to be wise to
totally change the product name. Otherwise there's a risk of years of
confusion that may create difficult barriers to new users.

Inventing New Languages
There are a lot of mature languages about in common usage with comprehensive
and well designed structures and support channels. It may be better to adopt
one existing language, providing API/DOM access to the C++ core with
official support for that language. Enthusiast for other languages could
then add support for other languages as trends change.

Maybe a solution would be to create an integration layer with native support
for an enhanced version of the established POV-Ray SDL and, at the same time
expose the API/DOM. As a particular programming language becomes a popular
choice for the POV-Ray community in years to come it could become the
defacto standard and could be added to the short list of officially
supported languages.

Chris B.