POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruins WIP #3 : Re: Ruins WIP #3 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:11:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruins WIP #3
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Mar 2009 04:10:42
Message: <49be0982$1@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Honestly, physical erosion never occurred to me, and certainly wasn't the
> look I
> was going for. I don't understand how it could happen that way, either -
> the
> edges of the inner courtyard floor are far too sharp for a slow erosion. I
> think this is clearly a deliberately raised, paved gallery around a bare
> inner
> floor, which might even be the unmodified floor level from before the
> building
> was put up.

There are a couple of interesting developments here.

1) the lowered courtyard (or raised gallery if you wish) is often created
for a simple practical reason: rainfall. If you do not want the gallery to
be flooded, just raise it above the court yard level. This is also true for
regions with little rainfall (but huge quantities of rain at once).

2) What Clipka suggests (abrasion by tourist feet) would be nice to pursue.
Between the columns, the flagstones should indeed be hollowed out by years
of use.

Thomas